My Story: Stage Fright

11:42 Unknown 0 Comments

It used to be so easy for me; just going up the stairs, smiling and starting to play. 

I have been playing the piano for almost 10 years. I believe that's a long time. At my school, we have this annual concert that is called "The Musical Night". It used to be one of the most exciting times of the year, for me at least, becuase so many people would come to watch us play. The room would get so crowded that people wouldn't be able to find a seat.

Every year I would choose a song that I really liked to play it on stage. I was so confident when I started, even though I was only 7.

Years started going by and I noticed that every year, playing on stage got harder and harder. Days before the show, I wouldn't sleep becuase of the stress. Sometimes I would get up and play that one song over and over again. But when I say over and over again, I mean at least 15 times. So many different scenarios would come to my mind about the things that could happen and it was ridiculous!

"What if I forget the notes and freeze?"
"What if I fall?"
"Mine is the easiest, I wish I had picked another song."

The list goes on and on!


Being on stage and in front of actual people terrified me. The idea of making a mistake in that scene terrified me even more. It got to a point where performing wasn't fun anymore. It stressed me out so much that I wouldn't be able to think of anything else other than the concert. But I didn't stop playing.

Why?

Its because I decided to hold on to one feeling in particular. To be honest, that was the feeling which kept me going. It was the relief and the happiness you feel after you get off the stage. I loved going up to my friends and saying "I was so terrified but everything went well!" That one feeling was worth more than anything.

And now in two weeks, I'm going to be doing a presentation about art in front of 200 people that I personally know! Thinking about being on a stage still scares me a lot but if other people can do it, why can't I?

I feel like facing your fears is the only way to overcome them. It's not an easy thing, but thats what I'm going to do. 

If you have any tips about this, tell me in the comments below! ♡ xx Thank you for reading!


                                                                     -Classy Moon 



0 comments: